Friday, June 27, 2008

Wall Organizer & a 3 Hour Nap

Well, my daughter decided to take a three hour nap today, so I was able to catch up on a few things. This project being one of them. It is a wall organizer for her room back in Moscow. The colors in the fabric match her room perfectly. All I need to do now is find a curtain rod and paint it green to match for it to hang on.



I think the dimensions were 21"x 28". I just cut the pockets out whatever size I thought looked good. I ended up doing six pockets, three big, three little. I stitched some ribbon on to the tops of each pockets. I added pink tied bows on to the smaller pockets for a little bit more pop. I made three tabs for the top so it could hang on a curtain rod or in her closet. I made them 6"x 4".

Cut out two large rectangles 21"x28" and your pockets, and three or four squares for the top tabs.

Fold over 1/2" and iron on each pocket. Pin in place where you want pockets. Sew pockets in place. Iron.

Pin tabs in place on top of this rectangle.

Put other rectangle on top of this one and pin in place. Make sure fabric is right sides together. Do the basic straight stitch all around this rectangle, leaving an opening to turn it out through.

Turn it out and iron. Top stitch all around. You're done!

(I also stitched around my pockets twice once it was all done to secure them to the back. It makes it hang better. And I top stitched twice around the whole organizer, just because I like the look of it.)

4 comments:

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

I love this! You are so creative; I'm so glad you have this site to share all of your fun little exploits with everyone! :)

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HalnJess said...

Nicole, I just came across your site! This is the cutest stuff! I LOVE IT! I'm not the naturally creative type but I love all the ideas - I may have to spend a while browsing through here!!

We had a great time at the beach with you guys!

Jennifer V said...

Such a simple but handy project! I'll have to do this one soon, since I can think of about 10 places in my house where I could use one of these. Thanks, Leslie!